Search This Blog

Monday, March 29, 2010

From Courtship to Court

Then...





Now...




We’ve come a long way. From “Goin Steady” to “Steady Goin”. What happened to teen dating?

I would love to start this sentence with back in my day, but back in my day was only ten years ago. Oh wise one, tell me the secrets of dating… HMM. I CAN share my various views about dating with no strings attached. Sound good? Great.

“I’m like so in love with him… or whatever.”


When did love become a fad? Dating has become so casual I can only compare it to that of a fashion trend. If you change relationships like you do your hair style, then this article is for YOU.

How many times have you been in love? Do you know the definition of love? My gut tells me LOVE is overused, devalued, and disrespected.

What about using the term? I love my wife. I love hot dogs. Same meaning? Maybe for some, but not me.

So, why do we date?

I believe dating should be entered with the M-word in mind - Marriage, to clarify for my slow homies. I write this knowing my audience are teens. Are you getting married at 16? Hopefully not. So what does this mean for you?

We wonder why marriage is such a joke in this country? It's because we treat the process of finding a mate in the same way. We get in the cycle of trying people on for size. AND if they don't fit, we move on to the next.

If these are the standards for dating, why are we surprised by the divorce rate? If we don't change the way we date, the idea of marriage to one person FOREVER won't even be comprehensible.

American culture is all about making you believe you're here on this earth to satisfy and please YOU and you only. Think that plays into the U.S. having the highest divorce rate and the highest rate of single parenting in the Western world? Betta believe it.

I, like many, come from a home of divorce. There is no simple or convenient way to explain the pain and hurt divorce causes in the lives of everyone involved. I'm not saying there's only one reason people get divorced. BUT, I definitely think marriage has been jaded by the "convenience" of dating without purpose.

My challenge isn't easy... but please try dating with a purpose. Don't do it for me, do it for your heart. Start making the right decisions now, and you'll be in an incredible position down the road.

Do it for your future HUSBAND/WIFE.

You're worth it, and so are they.

Keep It Real.

Murph

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant! NO ONE has the courage to tell kids to WAIT! Logic and experience have proven that making bad choices will NOT result in a good outcome. LEARN from the mistakes others have made. SAVE the best you have to offer (that's yourself) and skip the heartache. People that change partners like underwear end up with nothing but dirty laundry...and pain. Thanks for challenging your readers to be their best.

    ReplyDelete