Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

If You're Not First, You're last!



I don't often hear, "I can't wait to be second!" But what's the point of going fast, being first, and working ourselves to death?

Like Bobby Valentino said, " Slow Down"!

As human beings we are naturally competitive - survival of the fittest? It's human nature to adapt, to strive to survive. BUT our society isn't gathering berries and hunting for our food anymore (well I can't speak for Texas). If I'm hungry, I get in my comfortable car, drive my butt down to the local burger joint (for your satisfaction I hope it's an In N Out Burger), I DON"T EVEN HAVE TO GET OUT OF THE CAR to order. In fact, I could order from my phone, while tweeting the whole experience!

So in a life that's very much handed to us, what's our drive to strive?

I admit, competition runs through my veins. But one of the best lessons I've learned in life is how to lose.

Losing. Failing. Mistakes. Pain.

Failing is essential to success, but we have to be "failing forward".

No one can succeed without failing.

Michael Jordan, arguably the best player of all time, six NBA championships, 11 MVP"s and still he had to fail to get there.

Most people see failure at face value - i.e., failure. However, if you search deeper, you discover failure is in fact, an opportunity to grow. Failure ]the[n becomes a resource.

A baby can't walk until they fall over and over again. A basketball player will miss several shots in a single game in the midst of 13 points. A writer will have much of her work rejected by editors than published.

Successful people don't focus on the things that didn't work. Instead, they understand that with each "failure" they are one step closer to achieving their dreams. They may have to try once or one-thousands times before hitting the mark, but they know each unsuccessful effort is pushing them closer to their goal.

There is a MAJOR difference between people who fail and people who use failure to succeed. Their ATTITUDE! They succeed because they NEVER gave up!

Get out there and start failing, to win.

Keep It Real.

Murph

3 comments:

  1. I concur. Some of people's greatest successes come as a direct response to a failure. You learn and you improve from each misstep. And you likely don't falter the same way twice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey man, love the site! It looks awesome. The Taladega Nights shout out is great. Our new pastor gave a shout out from the pulpit this past Easter Sunday. "We like to think of Jesus like Ricky Bobby...dear 8 pound, six ounce, baby Jesus..." I think I'm hooked.

    Miss you KIDS!
    Gi

    ReplyDelete