Search This Blog

Monday, April 19, 2010

Always remember you're unique... just like everyone else

Every Monday morning I come to a really "Hip" coffee shop called Cartel Coffee Lab to write my blog. I think it's a mix of the random music, crazy art, tattoos, piercings, skinny jeans, Toms Shoes, etc. It's like the hipster olympics!




I like their coffee, but the experience of being there is my motivation.

So every once and a while, I just sit back and chill. No writing, no thinking, just taking in the view.

Does anybody else "people watch"? I could sit at the mall all day just creepin my little heart out.

The past week has been busy, but inspiration-less on the blog front. Today, however, is very different! I need to get something off my chest!

In high school you fight desperately to fit in, then young adulthood sprouts and you're fighting desperately to stand out. Why do we try to be SO different, but eventually look the same? Do we think we're standing out by being the same?

I did some people watching, and came to the conclusion we all like to be different, or exclusive. This ends up getting copied, and then it's no longer unique... IT"S POPULAR!

I'm encouraging you to be different ALL THE TIME! Never give pop culture the opportunity to make your "different", norm.

Let me give you an example.

When I was younger I used to where this thing called a "slap bracelet". I know that I just made myself look MAD OLD, but I will make that sacrifice for the greater good of my point.

Slap bracelets were cool! I mean really cool. One kid gets CUT and has to ruin it for everbody...geez! Just kiddin. Sort of.




I was the first in my class to get one and people used to make me demo my little piece of SLAPPIN MAGIC! However, it wasn't long after that I started to see another kid with a slap bracelet, and another, and so on. Finally I had to stop wearin mine.

My point is this...

Don't get in the habit of following the trend, CREATE IT and move on!

Here's to being original and stuff.

Keep it Real,
Murph

1 comment: