Search This Blog

Friday, April 23, 2010

What Motivational Speakers Can't Say...



It can be a challenge to keep it real - on stage.

Now that I'm a motivational speaker, the "ALL SCHOOL ASSEMBLY" is an obstacle I LOVE to tackle. If I mess it up...I mess it up for all the speakers who come after me.

Today I had a unique opportunity. One that comes less often than I'd like. I got to speak at a Christian school. This made my talk SO much more real! I could finally share the reason I do what I do, and why you should, too.

I have nothing against people that don't share my beliefs. In fact, I respect those that are convicted and dedicated to something. BUT this is a HUGE part of my life that can get overlooked when speaking in a public setting... along with the pledge of allegiance, and many other things no longer acceptable or practiced.

To say the least, I was excited about today.

I had an AWESOME time hanging out with the students from Valley Lutheran High School in Phoenix, Arizona.



We laughed, cried, hugged, drank tea, and ate cookies... all in all that makes for a heck of a Friday morning. ::wink::

Today's message to the students of Valley Lutheran was very simple to say, but very hard to live out.

"God has a unique and personal vision for each and every one of us, but sometimes it's hard to follow that vision when everyone else is trying to create it for you."


Ultimately, I wanted the students to walk away asking themselves what that vision looks like for their lives. What tools, gifts, and dreams do they possess that will help them follow their vision?

If we don't paint a clear vision of where we're going, we can too easily be pulled into a life we never wanted.

This generation of teenagers are looked at with little to no expectations... TV, music... low expectations.

Then I told them about this "Dude"...

This guy that had long hair, hung out with thieves, His name was Jesus.

Jesus traveled and spoke to anyone and everyone... BUT did everyone convert? Did everyone accept what he was saying?

NO!

In fact, they killed Him because of it...

BUT...

He did change the lives of 12, and those 12 went out to changed the world.

We are POWERFUL, more powerful than we think. We just need to be reminded once and awhile.

The pics from the day were taken by my hottie wife, Gina Meola:



Before every talk I take time to kick it with God.



BIG shout out to my homie/roadie Dennis Gable (AKA, famous motivational speaker). There's nothing better than having a talented artist introduce you. Humbling.



Keep It Real.

Murph

5 comments:

  1. Yeeeeah, boi!

    Rock it out for JC ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post! We love you!!

    J&M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Marcus! Hits home for all of us, not just teenagers! Keep it up! (When we finally make it to AZ, I wanna sit in on one of your speeches!!) Love from OH!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Marcus !
    Nice to share your personal experience with us . The speeches that you deliver are awesome . Keep motivating us to help in taking some personal decisions .

    Motivational Speaker

    Thanks
    Mark Duin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mark!

      Wow, I haven't blogged in a really long time. Life has moved rapidly from this platform, but I still love the opportunities I get to speak.

      Speaking is an amazing platform. I took a break from speaking for the last few years to work on one of the most important aspects of being a speaker, character.

      See, I believe that there are three C's that every speaker should embody.

      1. Communication - Gotta have this, but sometimes people take it for granted. Speaking should be perfected and practiced. I also believe half the battle is just getting up there and doing your thing.

      2. Content - You have to know your information inside out and become an expert.

      3. Character - The most important piece. You can have the other two, but if you aren't applying it to your life or living what you preach, you should stop. I did, and over the past few years God has been doing and amazing work on my heart. I'm positive he will use this experience someday for His glory and I will have the story and character to match.

      Thank you for your feedback and support. Much love.

      M

      Delete