Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Jump, Dude

I've been slackin, and that's NOT cool!

Last week I looked in the mirror, got upset, and vowed to make some changes. I'm trying this new phenomena called "running" - this coming from an ex college athlete... oy. The only thing worse than running, is passing a happy runner. Just as I get my "I'm gonna die face on", they pass me, and their grin looks like a sideways banana. You know, it's like they aren't really sure if they have to use the bathroom or write a novel.

So, running. Not my fave. But I DO love to hike. Living in Phoenix equals endless climbing options. Holla.

Check out me getting my hike on HERE!

Today I went hiking with my wife. It was all gravy to start with, and as we made it to the top of the mountain, we breathed a deep sigh of accomplishment... or hyperventilation. Whichever take on it, we breathed.

I snapped a photo to give you a better idea of what I'm talkin' about.



It's funny how simple the world looks when you're viewing it from above. It's quiet, the land is widespread, and there's a peace like it could easily be conquered. But zoom into an intersection, and this guys yellin' at that guy, bla bla bla. You get it. Not so simple when you're IN it.

After some time talking and relaxing on top, we got up to head down. We scoped out our options, and both decided on a very... different way down. We arrived at a huge drop. I had no choice but to JUMP from point A to B. But like, the whole alphabet was between the two. BEST case scenario, I could land on the foot rock, unscratched. Worst case...I could totally roll down hundreds of feat to my death. Yikes.

My brain very clearly said no, but my heart said GO! Well, 25 minutes later, we turned around to head the other way. Just as Gina was out of sight, something in me made me stop, turn, and JUMP. I made it down!

Obviously, I lived. But this experience, however insignificant in other people's eyes, really made me think. Made me think about life.

As a teenager, it's easy to feel like life can't possibly get any more complicated. Maybe you feel like your only option is failing, turning back, giving up... NOT JUMPING. But what does that accomplish?

If you don't jump now...you NEVER will. Seriously.

It's in our nature to turn back, walk away, look for the easy route. But falling into what comes naturally only encourages a BAD HABIT. Yes, habit. Choosing to jump is a habit, and there will always be another time in your life when you'll face a cliff you're either going to walk away from, or conquer.

What if we didn't need to find a way around, or over the walls in our lives? What if we just saw the wall and ran through it?

We make it a habit to retreat, TO RUN AWAY from our problems. AND YA KNOW HOW I FEEL ABOUT RUNNIN!


So, JUMP ALREADY.




The decision to triumph, win, and conquer is in YOU.

Keep It Real.

Murph

4 comments:

  1. I like the message and the truth in your writing... however you look kinda brown in your jumping photo HA

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always the way we percieve the issue that makes it the most difficult. It's never as scary as we think it is...and I find myself constantly reminding myself that daily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was on my ask me page, but I thought it was worth sharing. Thanks ;)

    I like that picture of the purple tree on your blogspot as it reminds me of as it reminds me of the one found in the film What Dreams May Come... I also like your description of the world from the "top"...reminds me of the book, The Fifth Mountain...good stuff.

    ReplyDelete