Search This Blog

Friday, February 19, 2010

Slow Down Homeboy!

Run, Run, Run. This week has been CRAZY busy!

Let me start with a shout out to the Boys and Girls Club of Phoenix. You rock my life. Seriously. It doesn't get much better than seeing teens, with rough backgrounds, find motivation to tackle what's in store. Do I cry? Maybe...but they are really manly cries! More like whimpering, so I guess you would call it a man whimper - or a mimper! Yeah, that's it.

Here are a few pics of your boi in action.










Poetry SLAMMIN'









I'm so down with people who can articulate and express their thoughts. I don't care if you sing it, play it, whisper it, or stomp it out, personal expression is CRAZY EXCITING!

I speak and coach for a living, so being in front of crowds doesn't normally phase me. But there's something about a lonely mic and an audience with high creative expectations that makes my stomach fill with knots. I went to a poetry slam, signed the line to give a piece, and felt a little out of my element.

Sometimes that feeling of nervousness is just what we need to be GREAT! Have you ever felt a little too comfortable? I have, and that means that I'm over confident! That is like "backwards swagger"!

Nervous --> attack --> BREAKTHROUGH.

There will be a time when the "show must go on"; a live or die moment. This could be your greatest fear or something as small as an algebra test. Either way, when it comes down to that moment and your nerves are about to punch their way out of your stomach, when you feel like your mouth couldn't possibly move, when your arm pits could fix Africa's drought (gross)...You get it... THIS is the moment that separates the "great ones" from the "so so's".

My hope for you today is that you feel the pressure, and RISE to meet it.

Keep It Real.

Murph

1 comment:

  1. Great post Marcus. You always presnt good points to ponder. We're all looking for motivation to achieve what's in our hearts to do. Thanks for posting pictures. Warms my heart since I haven't seen you for awahile.

    ReplyDelete